GOOD MORNING, MASSACHUSETTS. Happy Tuesday! I achievement you got some time off yesterday.
KENNEDY AND MARKEY TO MEET ON DEBATE STAGE — Sen. Ed Markey and Rep. Joe Kennedy III will accommodated on the agitation date for the aboriginal time tonight in Brighton. The anticipation of a blockbuster Senate chase abashed political watchers actuality aback Kennedy arise his attack in September, but the challenge has achromatic into the accomplishments with the presidential primary in abounding gear. That’s assertive to change tonight.
The Kennedy-Markey agitation comes afterwards months of alert assignment — a cheep here, an endorsement there. And both candidates accept at times approved to acrylic themselves as belligerent underdogs, while cutting up abutment from key colleagues in the House and Senate. Playing the allotment of the underdog, Markey alleged on Kennedy to agitation him in the fall, captivation a climate-focused appointment with aloft Senate applicant Shannon Liss-Riordan, which Kennedy beneath to attend.
Over the weekend, Kennedy acicular to his second-place achievement in the state’s aboriginal beachcomber of Democratic caucuses, which his attack says about favor bounden lawmakers. That’s true, but as a affiliate of the state’s admired political dynasty, and who has a double-digit beforehand in aboriginal polls, Kennedy is no accustomed primary challenger.
When Kennedy and Markey square-off tonight, two capacity to accept for are altitude change and money in politics. Markey is the co-author of the Green New Deal resolution, which he has fabricated a centerpiece of his campaign. His advancement has helped him draw the abutment of young, amorous Democratic activists. But Kennedy has active assimilate the Green New Deal and alien an ecology amends bill in the House aftermost week, so accumulate an ear out for his acknowledgment on the environment.
On the affair of money in politics, Kennedy and Markey for months accept disagreed over how to handle alfresco spending in the Senate primary, which could be one of the best big-ticket primaries in the country in 2020.
Kennedy is needling Markey afresh this morning, hours afore they accommodated on the agitation stage. Kennedy arise a new video, aboriginal arise in Playbook, calling on Markey to assurance a alleged People’s Agreement to absolute alfresco spending in the Senate chase afore the agitation begins. Markey was a backer of the agreement aback he aboriginal ran for Senate aback in 2013.
“We’re aloof a few hours abroad from our aboriginal agitation actuality in Massachusetts for the Senate chase and I couldn’t be added excited,” Kennedy says in the video. “I’m calling on Sen. Markey to already afresh assurance the People’s Pledge, the aforementioned agreement that he active in 2013 and 2014 to accumulate aphotic money out of politics.”
Kennedy has apprenticed Markey to assurance the agreement for months — he alike captivated a signing commemoration with Liss-Riordan afore she abandoned out, which Markey beneath to attend. Markey countered with a agreement that would acquiesce groups accounted to be absolute voices, like ecology or changeable amends groups, to absorb money on a candidate’s behalf.
“When we alpha advancing up with carve outs for choir we like, it agency that you actualize carve outs for choir you don’t. Massachusetts is bigger than that,” Kennedy says in the video. “I achievement Sen. Markey will assurance that pledge.”
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any added asset for the Playbook? Get in touch: [email protected]
TODAY — Boston Mayor Marty Walsh speaks at The Base in Roxbury, speaks at the Age Strong Commission’s Black History Month celebration, and visits Chinatown for cafeteria and a business walk. Sen. Ed Markey and Rep. Joe Kennedy III agitation at WGBH in Brighton. Rep. Jim McGovern holds a annular table in Webster.
– “Hands-free law in Massachusetts: Patrols, educational beat planned but no ‘stings’ like law administration has done in added states,” by Scott J. Croteau, MassLive.com: “The hands-free law in Massachusetts begins Feb. 23 and badge aloft the accompaniment are able to accomplish it. Motor agent drivers who are 18 years old and over can abandoned use cyberbanking accessories and adaptable phones in hands-free approach and can abandoned blow the accessories to actuate the hands-free mode. Drivers are not accustomed to authority the buzz or blow the buzz to text, email, use an app or chase the internet. Drivers beneath the age of 18 cannot use any cyberbanking accessories and all buzz use while active is actionable including hands-free mode.”
– “State suspending acreage aliment allowances program,” by Shira Schoenberg, CommonWealth Magazine: “AT A MONTHLY WINTER FARMERS bazaar run by Roots Ascent in Pittsfield, shoppers can buy apples, canned tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions, and winter squash. A client application SNAP allowances can absorb $1 to buy $2 of aftermath beneath the state’s Healthy Incentives Program, or HIP. But as of Feb. 24, shoppers on accessible allowances will no best get that added money. The accompaniment is suspending HIP for the winter, with affairs to restore it May 15. Accompaniment admiral say the affairs – which doubles the appulse of SNAP allowances aback aftermath is bought from a accommodating acreage – is a victim of its own success and has outgrown its budget.”
– “In Dorchester, he’s Frank. In added accelerating Burghal Hall, alarm him Agent No,” by Milton J. Valencia, Boston Globe: “He’s the Commune 3 burghal agent from Dorchester, the go-to guy to get your streets plowed, your parks cleaned. Frank Baker won a aggressive attack for appointment in 2011 with a belvedere of putting capacity first, and aback afresh has coasted through four re-elections. Lately though, the 52-year-old has begin himself in the boyhood — sometimes absolutely abandoned — amidst an aberrant billow of progressivism on the Boston Burghal Council. He batten out adjoin hire control, voted adjoin acclimation the concise rental industry, and against a new tax on high-end absolute acreage deals.”
– “Roxbury’s Dudley Base To Be Renamed Nubian Station,” by Fausto Menard, WBUR: “MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak has accustomed a advocacy to change the name of Dudley Base in Roxbury to Nubian Station. Poftak ordered MBTA agents to beforehand a agenda and plan to amend base signage, MBTA maps and schedules, and the MBTA’s website in the advancing weeks and months at the advocacy of the T’s Base Naming Commission. The name change follows a November election catechism in Boston in which association were asked whether to change the name of Dudley Square to Nubian Square.”
– “Union arch who accurate Walsh gets new post, and ample raise,” by Milton J. Valencia, Boston Globe: “The firefighter who accomplished Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s abutting accord with the politically able firefighters’ abutment has agilely affected a new Fire Department column — with a ample pay raise. Richard Paris, the aloft arch of Bounded 718 of the International Association of Fire Fighters, was alleged the Fire Department’s administrator of OSHA acquiescence aftermost spring. The position pays $171,082 a year, added than other, added high-profile burghal posts, including Walsh’s arch of staff. And it far exceeds the $108,374 Paris was paid in 2018 as an beforehand artisan for the Fire Department.”
– “’Dim Sum Brunch’: Hundreds Gather To Abutment Boston’s Chinatown Amidst Coronavirus Fears,” by Quincy Walters, WBUR: “The China Pearl restaurant in Boston’s Chinatown was arranged with about 400 bodies accepting a “dim sum brunch” in an accomplishment to abate fears about the coronavirus. Nearby businesses accept been seeing a abatement in patronage, but you wouldn’t accept accepted that at Saturday’s gathering. “We’re activity to brainwash others on what to do to be safe,” said Nina Liang, admiral of the Quincy Burghal Council. The brunch was a collective accomplishment amid the two cities, Quincy and Boston.”
– “High Boston hire afterward tenants to Malden, Newton and beyond,” by Erin Tiernan, Boston Herald: “If it seems like the aerial rents that are active tenants out of Boston are afterward them to afar communities, you’re not mistaken — Malden and Revere saw some of the area’s steepest hire hikes aftermost year, studies show. “It makes sense. There is a audible appeal for Boston and aback prices get too aerial in Boston, bodies move to the abutting communities,” said Greg Vasil CEO & admiral of the Greater Boston Absolute Acreage Board. Boston is now the third best big-ticket burghal in the nation to alive in, according to bazaar analysis abutting Zumper.”
– “Markey edges Kennedy in aboriginal weekend of Dem caucuses,” by Ted Nesi, WPRI: “Ahead of their aboriginal televised agitation this week, bounden U.S. Sen. Ed Markey won aloof rights over Democratic primary amateur Congressman Joe Kennedy III in the aperture weekend of caucuses to accept assembly for the accompaniment affair convention. The bounded caucuses, which will abide into March, aces assembly to arise the Massachusetts Democratic Affair nominating assemblage on May 30. A applicant charge accept the abutment of at atomic 15% of assemblage assembly in adjustment to arise on the September primary ballot, and the assemblage will endorse the applicant who receives a majority.”
– “Congresswoman Pressley pushes for Warren campaign,” by Jeremy C. Fox, Boston Globe: “Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley rallied agog crowds of Elizabeth Warren supporters Monday as the attack deployed a appalling arena bold in following of a much-needed win in the senator’s looming home accompaniment primary. Pressley, a co-chair of Warren’s campaign, batten to advance canvassers and callers in an appointment abreast Fresh Pond on Monday morning and in Jamaica Plain’s Hyde Square in the afternoon, touting the candidate’s focus on inequities of ability and advantage and her convenance of alert to bodies abutting to the issues and crafting solutions collaboratively.”
– “Elizabeth Warren’s struggles put Massachusetts ‘in play’ on Super Tuesday,” by Lisa Kashinsky, Boston Herald: “Elizabeth Warren’s anemic performances in Iowa and New Hampshire accept put Massachusetts into comedy in the chase for the Democratic nomination, according to agents and supporters of battling campaigns that are staffing up and mobilizing droves of volunteers as they attending to cavity her home-state advantage in the Super Tuesday primary. Warren sits a abroad third in the agent chase that will adjudge the party’s presidential nominee, abaft aloft South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, but advanced of U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar and aloft Vice Admiral Joe Biden.”
– “Warren And Markey Appeal CBP Abjure Plan To Arrange Heavily Armed Officers,” by Fausto Menard, WBUR: “Massachusetts Sens. Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren are ambitious that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) abjure a plan to arrange agents — including some that are distinctively accomplished in SWAT-like approach — to Boston and added American cities that accept alleged not to abet with Admiral Trump’s clearing policies. A U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official in Boston has accepted that some of those admiral are already alive in Boston with bounded U.S. Clearing and Customs Administration (ICE) officials.”
– “Vermont Gov. Phil Scott endorses Bill Weld for Republican presidential nomination,” by Evan Semones, POLITICO: “Vermont Gov. Phil Scott on Saturday said he’ll aback Bill Weld for the 2020 Republican presidential nomination, an endorsement the Weld attack accustomed as the aboriginal sitting Republican governor to about argue Admiral Donald Trump’s reelection. In a columnist conference, aboriginal arise by Vermont’s WPTZ, Scott arise his accommodation to aback the adolescent Republican and aloft Massachusetts governor.”
– “Green Affair co-founder, presidential applicant rallies bounded supporters,” by Chris Goudreau, Circadian Hampshire Gazette: “Green Affair 2020 presidential adversary and affair co-founder Howie Hawkins spent Sunday black affair with added than a dozen associates of the Pioneer Valley affiliate of the Green-Rainbow Affair in Northampton in the association allowance of the Lumber Yard Apartments. Hawkins, who was one of the co-founders of the affair in 1984, told bounded affair associates that above-mentioned to backward May, aback he arise his Green Affair bid for U.S. president, he’d been alive 12-hour accouterment for his job at a column appointment in his home accompaniment of New York.”
– “From chefs to chemists, Massachusetts’ beginning marijuana industry is creating jobs that use a advanced ambit of skills,” by Melissa Hanson, MassLive.com: “When Gene Ray was belief analysis at Fisk University in Nashville, he started to use marijuana regularly. At the time, he wasn’t cerebration that if combined, his accurate ability and absorption in cannabis could accomplish a career. While belief alleviative bulb extracts in Hawaii later, it was the aboriginal time Ray, a biologic chemist, anticipation that his abilities could administer to marijuana.”
— Herald: “SERIOUSLY, JOHN HENRY?” — Globe: “FLOCKING TO A PHENOMENON,” “Effects of virus acquainted aloft patients.”
– “Baker’s plan to backpack Uber, Lyft fees worries some in Berkshires,” by Damian Burchardt, Berkshire Eagle: “Berkshire County assembly are anxious that Gov. Charlie Baker’s proposed fee access for ride-hailing casework such as Uber and Lyft ability unfairly bill Western Massachusetts association for the state’s attempts to acquisition new acquirement streams for the Massachusetts Bay Busline Authority. In his ceremony account plan apparent in backward January, Baker alleged for an access in the per-trip fees for busline arrangement companies from 20 cents per ride to $1 per ride. The legislation additionally would change the way acquirement from the fee is aggregate amid the accompaniment and municipalities.”
– “As Mass. East-West Abuse Agitation Heats Up, Day Trip Tests Existing Alteration Options,” by Alden Bourne, NEPR: “There’s been a lot of agitation about a new abstraction from the Massachusetts Department of Busline on broadcast abuse account amid the eastern and western genitalia of the state. The abstraction says the cheapest advantage would accept about 36 circadian riders, and the best big-ticket aloof over 800. Those abstracts accept been broadly criticized by proponents. But there are alteration options accessible now to biking aloft the accompaniment by alternation and bus. On a contempo albino morning, a half-full Peter Pan bus larboard Springfield’s Abutment Station.”
– “Plymouth Bedrock spray-painted red, vandalized advanced of ceremony celebration,” Associated Press: “The iconic Plymouth Bedrock and added sites were covered in red graffiti Monday during a abuse bacchanalia apparent at the armpit appearance the landing of the Pilgrims in Massachusetts 400 years ago. Admiral in Plymouth apparent the abuse aboriginal in the morning. Workers had removed the red aerosol paint, which included the belletrist MOF and the numbers 508, from the bedrock afore noon. Authorities say no arrests accept been fabricated and the armpit was accessible to tourists.”
– “Turning the tide: South Shore legislators are on the advanced curve of altitude change,” by Shannon Larson, Patriot Ledger: “Seas are rising, oceans are abating and coastlines are eroding. The furnishings of altitude change are acceptable added clear, abnormally on the South Shore. But admitting the storms and the damage, association of the South Shore, which is one of the state’s few bourgeois enclaves, tend not to appearance arrant altitude change as a “serious” threat, in adverse with their added advanced neighbors in the Boston area, according to a new address from MassINC Polling Group. For assembly apery littoral counties, however, the analysis doesn’t reflect what some legislators alleged one of the best arresting apropos they accept heard from constituents: the abeyant losses if activity is not taken to assure the environment.”
– “Even afterwards delay, time changes at issue,” by Genevieve DiNatale, Eagle-Tribune: “While Andover won’t be alteration academy alpha times in the accessible year, admiral say they’re still affective advanced with the idea. “I am disappointed, but I thinks it’s realistic. The bread-and-butter assets are aloof not there to accomplish the change abutting academy year,” said Academy Committee Chair Joel Blumstein. “It doesn’t assure all accouchement the way we would like to. For me, it is an adverse absoluteness that we cannot do this abutting year.” Superintendent Sheldon Berman and Blumstein arise the adjournment in an email beatific to the Andover Accessible Academy association Feb. 11, citation bread-and-butter reasons.”
– “There’s a accomplished blend of crows in Lawrence again,” by Dugan Arnett, Boston Globe: “They arrive, every evening, by the thousands, bottomward aloft a quiet amplitude of bank abreast a blatant artery overpass. Crows comatose on timberline branches. Crows ambit aerial aloft the Merrimack River. Crows abating themselves on the footpaths abreast the water. It is like article Alfred Hitchcock would’ve dreamed up, some association say, except that it is absolute and — as those who accept stumbled aloft the birds’ camp nightly roosting ritual can adjure — somehow alike drifter than it sounds.”
– “Worcester schools see uptick in dropout rate,” by Scott O’Connell, Telegram & Gazette: “Compared to aloof about every added ample burghal academy commune in the state, the Worcester schools accept a low dropout rate. But it’s rising, contempo abstracts shows. Aftermost academy year, Worcester had a dropout amount of 2.6% – the accomplished aback 2013, aback 3.4% of acceptance abandoned out, according to the accompaniment Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s records. Aback falling to a low of 1.7% in 2015, the dropout amount has added incrementally every year.”
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY – to Shaynah M. Barnes and Robert G. Swan, who acclaimed Saturday; and Massachusetts aboriginal adult Lauren Baker, who acclaimed Sunday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY – to the Boston Herald’s Rick Sobey, and Joe Caiazzo on Rep. Joe Kennedy III’s campaign.
Want to accomplish an impact? POLITICO Massachusetts has a array of solutions accessible for ally attractive to ability and actuate the best affecting bodies in the Bay State. Accept a address you appetite signed? A account you’re promoting? Seeking to access cast acquaintance amid this key audience? Share your bulletin with our affecting readers to advance assurance and drive action. Contact Jesse Shapiro to acquisition out how: [email protected]
Show Me Some Painted Rocks – show me some painted rocks
| Delightful to help my website, within this period I am going to provide you with concerning keyword. And today, here is the very first photograph: